Bruxism means you grind and clench your teeth, often during sleep. This condition can become quite painful and even lead to oral conditions like TMD (temporomandibular joint dysfunction).
Signs you may have bruxism, include:
- Ear, neck, face, and shoulder pain
- A stiff or muscular appearing jaw
- Worn or fracturing teeth
You do not have to have all of the symptoms to have bruxism. In some cases, when diagnosed early, we can provide treatment before these major symptoms set in.
If bruxism leads to TMJ, you may also notice a clicking sound in the jaw when chewing—in severe cases, even a locking jaw.
Treatments for bruxism and TMJ may include:
- Specialized diet for easier chewing
- Specific exercises to strengthen your jaw joint
- Avoidance of certain habits like nail biting
- A custom nightguard from our dentists
- Specific medications for anxiety
We provide a customized treatment plan following your assessment in our dental office.